Hello

Welcome to Sheer Awesomeness

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Again, I blog. This time with a bit of nostalgia

Finally, the time millions of you have been waiting for, I am blogging! Isn't that simply wonderful eh?

Wait! what, you have not been anticipating a post, well then shame on you for not.

We will come to the main post.

Well you see today, or rather yesterday, I met up with Swee Yik to see our former tutor, Mr Billy Maya. It was a very brief meeting, around a quarter of an hour or so. We just talked of how our new schools were and how we were coping, then Swee Yik and I just had lunch and talked about old times, (mind you, when   I say old times I mean times less than a year ago) most of us (as in my friends and I) have mainly drifted apart, most of us going to different institutions. Since all of us are at the tertiary level, we are so busy that we barely have time to meet up with each other. Sometimes I really long for the times, when Mitchell and I would fool around at the music room or at some other place, or when my NPCC mates and I had those ever memorable "post training bubble teas." I really miss being a "young teenager"

There is an Indian proverb, translated, it sounds something like.

The greatness of the shade is only know under the strong sun

I guess its true...

I know I this sounds like exactly like what everyone else says when they graduate from secondary school. But you have to realise, that this is how we all feel and the fact is that we all terribly miss each other.

Where in the world would I find another Mitchell or Swee Yik or Joshua or Josephine or Jezebel or Hui Ting or Kai Wen or Nadhirah or Napittha or Shan Leong or Seng Wei or Yan Zhong or See Cheng or Zhun Yi or Firdaus

The last one gave me a whole gamut of troubles, but life in both BV and BVNPCC would not have been the same without him. I'm sure Swee Yik would second me on this statement.

I understand that the English is a bit goofy by you get the point......

The people mentioned above are some of my best mates that I found myself in the glorious four years I spent in Bedok View. They are all originals, forever cannot be replaced (Katy Perry? Anyone?)

I sincerely hope and pray that our friendship remain as strong as ever. I have cried, bled, slept, fought, played, studied, conspired with these people. These are people I will never forget.

I think I am prone to nostalgia attack because this is not the first time I have felt this way.

Right now, as my fingers type away on this keyboard, my eyes are getting slightly blurry. Not because I am getting sleepy but because I am tearing. Childhood and the early teenage years are somethings that we take for granted.  We never appreciate them until they roll by.

I have great friends in my college now. Still, I bet they miss their friends too.

When I looked at the seats of my former classroom, I remembered that once used to be in one of those seats - laughing, cramming, crying, advising and whatever-ing. I even held the key to the classroom. Then again, reality is cruel. I realised I no longer could claim the class as my own, My table was no longer mine, Kai Wen's table was no longer hers and Hui Ting's no longer hers. Who will remember that the three of us sat in the same row. The tables and chairs have new owners now and such it will be with each passing year. In a few years, no one would recognise Nadhirah's scribbles on my table.

The walls will echo new voices and the tress will tower over and watch over new batches of students playfully tossing up rifles in the air.

Younger and fresher blood will seep into the ground when one mistimed a catch. The concrete will, steadfast as ever, be saturated with sweat, pouring from student trying to overcome the protests by their abdominals and biceps, in a battle of mind over matter. The book in the library will, for time to come be flipped by younger and more supple fingers, eyes will run over the words, in amazement, as mine did, some time ago.

New feet will dance on the stage, to new music. And in a few years, everything will be changed. No one will know Bedok View like I knew it.

I really do not know what kind of dignified phrase qualifies at a sign-off phrase to this rather eccentric composition.

Fowards to the future,

Bhalaji

3 comments:

  1. Oh, finally! a post! :D
    and (sob, sob) I am truly honoured to be your friend, Bhalaji... but... when the heck did we fool around in the music room? :/ I thought we fooled around in the library, a more intellectal place to fool around :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Mitch, and one of the main reasons we went for night study if because of your mom's sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah! my mom's sandwhiches rock!!! :D come on Swee Yik you study across the road of my house just come over and have a lunch or dinner sometime. Bhalaji too, except it'll take him longer to reach.

    ReplyDelete