Hello

Welcome to Sheer Awesomeness

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Thoughts- MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

I initially was not too keen on watching Mad Max, but then when I saw the rave reviews I could not resist. It was universally lauded which I did not expect from the trailer, it looked a slightly different but still run-off-the-mill action flick. Seems I was wrong.

So I went on the second day it opened in Singapore. And once the movie opened I got a feeling this was going to be different. Unlike most openings of action movies, this was actually slightly funny, drawing laughs from the theater audience. And then the action started, and did not end until about two minutes before the ending of the movie. 

The strongest points of this movie, in order, would be it's visual appeal and it's action sequences. The way the movie was presented on the screen was a absolute joy. It was so well framed, the colours were rich. The design of the totally unrealistic vehicles used. The slightly sped up footage in some parts felt unnatural enough to draw you closer without being unsettling. The action sequences were insane, in every sense of this word. The movie and it's action in particular certainly lived up to the first word in it's title. The first thing you probably would ask yourself after watching them is how they thought of all that was shown. I really must give praise to the special effects department, they literally made this movie. 

One thing that felt lacking was the story, I hope the director had taken some effort to elucidate some details such as Max's past to the newer viewers who would not been able to fully discern what was going on. However it's effect on the overall enjoyment of the film was minimal. I had not watched the previous films in the franchise and I did not feel my enjoyment of this film was in any way hindered. 

P.S. Please be considerate in the theaters. my MAD MAX experience was slightly ruined by a particularly noisy group to my back and a person who would not stop using his phone!


No comments:

Post a Comment